Job Description for Mechanical Technician
The primary objective of this position is to perform startup, repair, and preventative maintenance on the equipment lines our company represents, under the direction of the Service Manager. The Mechanical Technician must be a highly motivated, well organized, customer service-oriented individual. The technician is responsible for the proper startup, correct diagnosis/repair, and implementation of proper preventative maintenance measures – all to ensure Air Equipment Company can produce a quality and long-lasting system for our customers.
Description of Principal Duties
- Primary Focus – Startup of our Mechanical Equipment Lines. Mainly LG VRF, Aaon, Climate Master Heat pumps, Lennox
- Secondary Focus – Startup of our Control Product Lines. ABB Variable Frequency Drives, Aircuity Demand Control Ventilation Systems, and Honeywell Analytics Gas Detection Systems
- Troubleshooting, repair, installation of HVAC systems and control systems
- Owner training of above equipment and control lines
- Some project and order management
- Interfacing between customers and manufacturers
- Customer Technical support
Candidate must possess the below technical knowledge:
- Understands basic refrigeration cycle: identifying components in refrigeration circuit, understanding how each component works, diagnosing problems in the refrigeration circuit, using manifold gauge set, pressure/temperature chart and temperature measuring devices for routine maintenance and to troubleshoot. Understands refrigeration recovery, evacuation and charging.
- Understands basic electron theory, how electricity travels, AC and DC currents, single phase and three phase circuits, and series and parallel circuits. Ability to read basic wiring diagrams. Understanding of Ohms Law. Ability to use multi-meters to read voltage, current and resistance values. Must be able to troubleshoot basic electrical circuits.
- Understands the process of treating air and simultaneously control its temperature, humidity, and distribution. Must be able to read and understand mechanical drawings
- Understands basic heating cycle to include: identifying components in heating system, understanding how each component works, diagnosing problems in the heating system using a gas pressure test and other devices for routine maintenance and to troubleshoot.
- Understands the theory of combustion and how it relates to combustible fuels such as gas and oil
Technician must be able to install, repair, adjust, maintain and troubleshoot the following equipment:
- Refrigerant controls (metering devices)
- Hermetic compressors
- Heat Pumps
- Split systems
- Packaged units
- Ductless splits
- Electric Motors (3-phase and 1-phase)
- Electric motor controls (contractors, starters, relays, disconnect, thermostats, etc.)
- Light commercial furnaces, boilers, burners and related controls (oil and gas)
- Various types of water pumps
- Intake and exhaust fans
- Unit heaters (hot water, steam and electric)
Daily job duties and responsibilities:
- Coordinate with Service Manager for job schedule and completion status
- Complete provided forms and documentation at the end of each task
- Coordinating with customer or contractor at the beginning and end of each task
- When applicable, obtaining customer or contractor signature/ work order/ PO
- Updating time sheet
- Turning in paper work / reports at the end of each day
- Ensuring all materials used for each task are listed properly on provided forms
- Assist other Air Equipment Company Employees as needed
- Answer office calls in a timely manner
- Call in repairs to Service Manager and provide necessary information to successfully file warranty claims or to price out of warranty repairs
- Consult with Service Manager or manufacturer support in times of uncertainty
Candidate must possess the below work skills:
- Excellent written communications skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Excellent oral communications skills
- Able to deal with high pressure situations
- Excellent organizational skills
- Able to work well with other technicians and tradesman
Candidate must have the below education and work experience:
- HVAC Apprentice license and EPA Certification and at least 6 months of trade related work experience
- High School diploma or equivalent GED certificate
- Must be able to drive to job sites throughout the State of Kentucky and Southern Indiana and have flexibility to stay overnight occasionally for several days at a time.
- Able to work on-call and overtime as needed
- Good hygiene, cleanliness, appropriate attire, hair no longer than collar, facial hair no longer than 2” is required always
- Maintain company owned tools, vehicles, computers and cell phone.
- Company reserves the right to random drug screenings without notice
Candidate can expect to go through several manufacturers (various location around the US) training programs as well as on the job training with our Service Manager and outside contractors. Candidate can expect travel for our company to be primarily in the state of Kentucky.
Compensation commensurate with education and experience. Full benefits offered.
Contact Miles Murphy to apply for or ask questions regarding this position (firstname.lastname@example.org)
**This job description shall remain fluid and will be reviewed on an as needed basis.